July Reads

Six books for July - not an impressive number. Did you do better than me?

Cockatiels for Dummies
by Diane Grindol - 07/06/08
Good - Non-fiction
A guide to selecting and caring for a pet cockatiel
Needed some more information on cockatiels and I adore the " for Dummies" series.

Eat This, Not That! by David Zinczenko - 07/08/08
Good - Non-fiction
Thousands of simple food swaps that can save you 10, 20, 30 pounds – or more
Wow! This book is enthralling. Lovely color photos of foods draw you in and the information is excellent. Comparisons between food choices help the reader understand how to choose better foods that still taste good. Sections on fast food, chain restaurants, eating on holidays, and grocery shopping provide a well-rounded guide. Pick this one up! You won't be sorry!

Journey by Angela Elwell Hunt - 07/08/08
Good - Inspirational
The third volume in this series of the life of Joseph in Ancient Egypt – this one focuses on his sons Manassah and Ephraim.
This one didn't hold my attention as much as the other two but I was glad to read the end of the story.

Courting Trouble by Deeanne Gist - 07/13/08
Good - Inspirational
Essie realizes she is becoming an old maid and decides to find a husband.
My mom recommended Deeanne Gist and I'm glad to find a new author worth reading, especially a Christian writer. This book is unusual because Essie, the main character, doesn't always make good choices. In most Christian fiction, the protagonist has to choose "right" or it can't be a "good example" for the reader. However, I think seeing the consequences of bad choices from a realistic Christian perspective is even more valuable than seeing unrealistic good choices always portrayed.

The Broken Window by Jeffery Deaver - 07/22/08
Excellent - Suspense
Lincoln's cousin is arrested for murder, but has he been framed by an identity thief? CHILLING!
I think this is one of Deaver's best Lincoln Rhyme books. Perhaps it's because the crime is less personal than others, but far more probable in today's computer-driven world. Anyway, this is a great book!

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - 07/28/08
Good - Young Adult
Clumsy and ordinary, Bella moves to the rainy Northwest to live with her father; there she meets extraordinary and inhumanly handsome Edward.
Re-reading in preparation for Breaking Dawn's release. I like the writing better this time around, but I like Bella even less than I did before. I still adore Jacob though! :-)

What are you reading? Come on, leave me a comment!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
More books than me in July!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky

October Reads