- Two birthdays - husband and youngest daughter
- The end of the 2012-13 school year (we homeschool)
- Mother's Day
- A spring banquet for my oldest daughter
- A day at the opera with my oldest child
- Our quarterly karate test
- Our first visit to Motor City Comic Con - hotel stay #1
- Soccer, soccer, and more soccer (3 kids playing - 2 on travel teams)
- A soccer tournament out of town - hotel stay #2
- An all-day planning meeting for our homeschool group
- Oldest daughter exhibited in an art show
- The three oldest kids worked several days at a local vineyard
- Taught an all-day essay writing seminar
- Worked my regular 20 hours per week every week
- My son's high school graduation
Whew! I am exhausted all over again!
The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner - 5/11/2013
Good - Young Adult - 416 pages, listened to the Audiobook
Read by Tom Hiddleston - 'nuff said. OK, maybe that's not enough for you. Maybe YOU'RE not a rabid Hiddlestoner. You might not even know who he is! (He is the actor whose most well-known role is probably Loki in The Avengers and Thor.) The Red Necklace is a young adult novel about the French Revolution. I will admit to mainly just listening for the pure pleasure of having Mr. Hiddleston read aloud to me. But actually it's an entertaining novel about a young magician's assistant and the daughter of a French aristocrat. This may be a bit iffy for some of my readers since it is focuses on the mystical (or occult). I enjoyed it enough to want to hear it again for the plot.
Dyslexia Tool Kit for Tutors and Parents: What to Do When Phonics Isn't Enough by Yvonna Graham and Alta Graham - 5/28/2013
Excellent - Non-fiction - 133 pages, read on the Kindle
Collection of over 20 practical techniques to help dyslexic students improve reading skills
Within the last year, I realized that my youngest daughter, now age 11, is probably dyslexic. This led me to believe that my oldest son, now age 18, is probably also dyslexic. I don't see a value in having them tested, but I was on a search for new ways to work with them. This book, referred to me by a good friend, was free on Kindle and I downloaded it. I read it slowly, just taking one technique at a time. I have used several of them with good success for my youngest child. I highly recommend this book, even at full price.