May Reads

Because I neglected what I SHOULD have been doing this month (but that's another story), I got a LOT of reading done this month - 9 books. That's the most in any month so far this year. This included my first book in my C.S. Lewis category, which I'd been procrastinating.

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult - 05/02/09
Good - Fiction (999 Category: 9 and Counting)
Sterling High School is torn apart by a mass shooting.
I'm never quite sure if I like Picoult or not, but this was definitely a compelling read. If you like heavy fiction, this may fit you well.

Deep in the Heart of Trouble by Deeanne Gist - 05/04/09
Good - Inspirational (999 Category: Kindred Spirits)
Essie has accepted her spinsterhood, but then Tony Bryant comes to town. But is he too good to be true?
This historical Christian novel is a sequel in the edgy Christian fiction category. Realistic people with realistic problems and who don't always make good choices despite being Christians.

The Martian Child by David Gerrold - 05/06/09
Good - Fiction (999 Category: Screen Time)
Based on a true story, the author adopts a “hard to place” eight-year-old who believes he is a Martian.
Read this because I'd seen the movie and loved it. The book was sooo different from the movie; what a surprise, right? But it was still quite good, and I am in awe of the author's commitment to adopting this emotionally impaired child.

Twelve Times Blessed by Jacquelyn Mitchard - 05/10/09
Good - Fiction (999 Category: 9 and Counting)
43yo business owner True Dickinson meets a younger man and falls head over heels, but at what cost to her well-ordered life with her son?
Interesting story, but there were a few things that bothered me, one being the caricature hypocritical Christian homeschool mom.

Sex God by Rob Bell - 05/13/09
Good - Non-fiction (999 Category: Faith)
Exploring the endless connections between sexuality and spirituality.
Not as ground-breaking as I'd hoped. I didn't learn anything new until the last chapter. And no, it wasn't about technique! LOL

The Inheritance by Louisa May Alcott - 05/14/09
Good - Classic (999 Category: Vintage Volumes)
Orphaned Edith grows up kind and good, but poor. When she is faced with a difficult choice, how will it affect her future?
Not Little Women, that's for sure!

Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange - 05/22/09
Excellent - Romance (999 Category: Screen Time)
First-person account of Captain Wentworth's love for Anne Elliott (Austen's Persusasion, retold from Wentworth's perspective, in diary form)
Ooooh, loved this! Captain Wentworth is my 3rd favorite Austen hero and this made me love him even more.

Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis - 05/27/09
Excellent - Sci-Fi (999 Category: Mere Jack)
Ransom is kidnapped, drugged, and taken into space.
Re-read. I remembered reading this a few years ago and remembered loving it and wishing I'd read it earlier in life. Didn't remember too much else about it though. Wow, it's awesome! Even if you don't particularly enjoy sci-fi (as I don't), I think this is worthwhile.

The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within by Erwin Raphael McManus - 05/31/09
Good - Inspirational (999 Category: Faith)
How to be a “barbarian” instead of a traditional Christian, understanding how to give your heart to Christ instead of living the “safe” Christian life.
My pastor recommended this book a while back and I finally got around to reading it. The author offers a challenging perspective on the traditional Christian way of operating and suggests that a more fulfilling way to live would be to deviate from the "safe" road and into the more dangerous path. Quite a bit to chew on here.

After 5 months of participating in the 999 Challenge, here are the statistics:
5/9 Nostalgia - Books I Read As a Child and want to Read Aloud to My Children
7/9 Kindred Spirits - Books By Favorite Authors
3/9 Vintage Volumes - Book Club Books (RR & BB)
4/9 9 and Counting - Titles with Numbers
4/9 Screen Time - TV/Movie Tie-ins
5/9 Serendipity – Unplanned books I want to read
1/9 Literacy - Non-fiction about Books, Writing, or Reading
4/9 Faith - Spiritual Life
1/9 Mere Jack – Books by (or about) C.S. Lewis
34/81 (yikes, not halfway yet! I've got a month to get to the halfway point! That means 6-7 books in June. Very do-able! Whew!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky

October Reads