October Reads

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - 10/13/08
Good - Fiction
Francie grows up very poor in turn-of-the-century Brooklyn.
My sister Janet recommended this. I surprisingly had not read it before. It was quite good, although not a light read at all. Wow, those people were POOR.

Sweet Love by Sarah Strohmeyer - 10/15/08
Good - Romance
Betty Mueller put her foot down when she saw her teenage daughter had a crush on an older man; twenty years later, she wishes she hadn't done it, so she hatches a plan to bring them back together.
I had wanted a light read after reading Tree Grows in Brooklyn and the cupcake on the cover of this made me think it would be. It wasn't. But it was good anyway.

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - 10/22/08
Good - Classic
Catherine Moreland is naïve and prone to romantic fantasy; in Bath she meets and falls in love with Henry Tilney and is invited to visit his family estate – Northanger Abbey
This was for my Book Club and I really liked it! Henry Tilney is my almost-favorite Austen hero (after Darcy, of course!) Catherine is a lot like I was as a teenager, I think.

Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer - 10/29/08
Good - Young Adult
Artemis travels back in time to find a remedy that will cure his mother.
I've read all the Artemis Fowl books and I think this was one of the better ones. Of course, I am always a sucker for time travel. And there was even a touch of romance! After all, Artemis is now 14.

I am in the middle of two books about how to write. I also finished a book today that I had hoped to finish in October. I will be listening to Diana Gabaldon's The Fiery Cross during November (and probably longer!). I won't be reading much else because of NaNoWriMo.

For my 888 Reading Challenge, I am nearly complete. I still need to read one young adult book, re-read 5 books (maybe including Lewis's Space Trilogy or maybe The Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers?), and read one Christian novel. Those will be my December reading goals. I dropped my Tolkien category and replaced it with a Jane Austen category. I do have some overlaps on my 888 list, which is allowable, but I had hoped not to do.

GO READ SOMETHING!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky