May Reads

4 more books in May - one a week seems like a good average, yes?

The Eternal Argument: A framework for understanding Western Literature and Culture by R. Robin Finley - 5/16/2014 
Good Non-fiction 286 Print
Long time middle school English teacher Robin Finley traces the history of Western literature against the larger conflict between theism and humanism.
I purchased this at the homeschool convention in 2013 and it sat on the shelf. But in April 2014, I heard the author speak at the homeschool convention in Cincinnati and remembered I had the book at home. Useful information to help understand Western literature.

The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis - 5/17/2014 
Excellent Non-fiction 141 Print
If God is omnipotent and good, how can we explain human pain and suffering? Lewis proposes reasonable answers.
Finally decided to stop SAYING that I am going to read all of Lewis and get started on it. I decided to read just a short bit every day when I do my devotional reading. I chose this one first because it was short and the subject matter is apropos due to my husband's chronic pain. After reading, I can say again, Lewis is a genius. Sometimes I barely can wrap my mind around what he says and other times it is clear as a bell. This is definitely a book I will read again.

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis - 5/30/2014 
Excellent Fiction 125 Print
Taking a bus from hell to heaven, the narrator describes what he sees.
Another Lewis book. I had not realized until this year that The Great Divorce is fiction. I had always thought it to be a theological treatise, but it is a fictional account of what the narrator sees in a vision of heaven and hell, and these are not the fiery caverns of the mythical hell nor the fluffy clouds of heaven. I think all humans will recognize parts of themselves in the characters in this short book.

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell - 5/30/2014 
Excellent Non-fiction 280 Print
The tipping point is "that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire." What makes it happen? Can we make it happen?
Gladwell's Outliers changed the way I think about success and The Tipping Point adds another layer of consideration to why some things make a difference and others go unnoticed. This is far from dry reading - very entertaining and thoughtful!

What are YOU reading right now? (Tell me in the comments!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky

October Reads