January Reads

Guess I never did a January or February post! Will remedy that now.  
Beguiled by Deeanne Gist & J. Mark Bertrand - 1/2/2011 Good - Inspirational Suspense Dogwalker Rylee finds herself in the middle of a Robin Hood robbery and is implicated. Will reporter Logan Woods be an ally or an enemy? Not my favorite Deeanne Gist novel.  

Sala's Gift: My Mother's Holocaust Story by Ann Kirschner - 1/3/2011 Good - Nonfiction As a young woman during WW2, Sala was placed in a Nazi work camp. She survived but never talked about her experiences until she gave letters she had saved for 50+ years to her adult daughter who then researched her mother's story. I never knew much about the WW2 work camps - very interesting and sad part of WW2 history.  

The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe - 1/18/2011 Good - Gothic Romance Emily St. Aubert is orphaned and taken from France to Italy by her aunt and eventually to the castle of Udolpho where strange things occur. Read this to better understand the Gothic novel and since it is mentioned in Northanger Abbey, this was a good one to start with!  

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen - ? Good - Classic Fanny Price goes to live with rich relatives. Liked this a lot better this time through. I think this is the most ignored of Austen's novels. I'd still like to slap Edmund though. Will I ever admire him?  

Edge by Jeffery Deaver - 1/20/2011 Good - Suspense Hard to get into; the narrator is an officer in the Witness Protection Program and must keep his clients safe from a lifter that killed his mentor. I found it difficult to get into this novel, probably because it was unclear who the characters were and who were the "good guys" but I was glad I stuck with it.  

Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde - 1/29/2011 Good - Fiction Thursday is now a mother and still trying to get her husband Landon un-eradicated, while dealing with problems in Hamlet and trying to keep the world from ending with a croquet match. I've really enjoyed the Thursday Next series. I think this is the 4th in the series. They're hard to explain because they are sort of 'Hitchhiker's Guide meets Nancy Drew meets classic literature'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky