March Reads

Clara & Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland - 3/1/2011
Fair - Historical Fiction
Clara is a designer at Tiffany Studios around the turn of the 20th century.
I listened to this on audiobook and I didn't particularly like the narrator. It was a good story, though.

GOVERNESS: The Lives and Times of the Real Jane Eyres by Ruth Brandon - 3/2/2011
Fair - Nonfiction
This was more about the lives of several real women who were governesses at some point. So, more about the TIMES than the LIVES of governesses. Mildly interesting and somewhat lurid (because one of the women was Byron's mistress and another was the mother of Mary Shelley), but not what I expected.
I had expected something else, as this didn't seem like a fair account of the average governess. But I did learn a lot!

Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo - 3/5/2011
Excellent - Chick Lit
Emma Grant, college professor in disgrace, travels to England hot on the trail of some previously unknown Austen letters.
Enjoyed this a lot!

Persuasion by Jane Austen
Excellent - Classic
Captain Wentworth returns after 8 years at sea earning his fortune. Anne, who eight years ago refused his offer of marriage, is still in love with him.
I love this more every time I read it - this is my third time.

The Sherlockian by Graham Moore - 3/15/2011
Good - Suspense
A Sherlock Holmes fan solves a murder and gathers clues to find a lost diary of Arthur Conan Doyle.
Fanciful story that alternates between a modern Sherlock Holmes fan's search for a diary and fictional accounts of Conan Doyle's life. Interesting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky