March Reads

Five books in March. Fewer than I'd have preferred due to my new part-time job and to reading Wuthering Heights. See below...

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier - 3/3/2010
Good - Fiction
Elizabeth Philpott and her spinster sisters move to Lyme and befriend Mary Anning, a fossil hunter who discovers complete skeletons of never-before-seen creatures.
This was interesting, something different than usual. I love Chevalier's books.

Brava, Valentine Adriana Trigiani - 3/9/2010
Good - Fiction
Valentine's brother joins the business and they investigate production of the ready-to-wear shoe line, plus Valentine reconnects with Gianluca from Italy, and family secrets explode all over the place.
I liked this one better than the original Valentine novel. In fact, I've enjoyed this one more than any Trigiani I've read since Big Stone Gap.

Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte - 3/17/2010
Difficult - Classic
Classic tragedy of Heathcliff and Cathy - read it yourself if you want to know more.
Whew! Glad I read it. Glad I never have to read it again. Way way way different than I thought it would be.

The Lightning Thief Rick Riordan - 3/24/2010
Good - Children's
Twelve-year-old Percy finds out that the odd happenings in his life are due to his previously unknown parentage and he must complete a quest.
I read this aloud to the kids for two main reasons - I want to see the movie so I wanted to read the book first AND I'd heard from so many people that they enjoyed it. I also enjoyed it a lot and so did 3 of the kids.

The Kingdom of Ohio Matthew Flaming - 3/31/2010
Good - Steampunk
Time travel and steampunk, along with a mystery and flashbacks, are set in turn-of-the-century New York and the almost mythical, but apparently real, Kingdom of Ohio.
My first "steampunk" novel! Awwwww. What's steampunk? Think Sherlock Holmes.... Hard to define, but it takes place in the time of steam engines but it also incorporates wild inventions and/or sci-fi stuff like time travel. At least that's how I define it. LOL Enjoyed it!

I need something LIGHT to read. Thinking about a re-read of Stephanie Plum!

What are YOU reading?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I will have to put "Brava, Valentine" on my list. I like Trigiani, and I have actually been to Stone Gap. Love, Mom

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky