This is a list of movies from 2008 that I didn't manage to see until 2009 and my brief comments on each. Running about 50/50 on the Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down decisions.
1. Bedtime Stories (PG) (2008) (Adam Sandler, Keri Russell)
Didn't really like it, although my family really did. Guess I'm just not an Adam Sandler fan!
2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (PG-13) (2008) (Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett)
Disliked it quite a bit. Again, not a Brad Pitt fan, but the movie was just depressing and way too long.
3. Yes Man (PG-13) (2008) (Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel)
Usually I love Zooey and dislike Carrey, but I didn't like either of them in this much. Now I realize Bradley Cooper is in this so I may go back for another viewing. David really loved this movie though! Red Bull! Red Bull!
4. Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who (G) (2008) (voices of Jim Carrey, Steve Carell)
Finally managed to see this at our summer park Movie Nights - on a big inflatable screen. It was really good!
5. Australia (PG-13) (2008) (Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman)
Meant to see it in the theater, but skipped out due to weather. Wish now I'd made it! This one is like two movies in one - very long and two storylines, really. Have seen it four times now, I think. I don't really like Nicole Kidman and, by her own admission, her acting was terrible, but Hugh Jackman carried it. And that adorable child has a screen presence!
6. Quantum of Solace (PG-13) (2008) (Daniel Craig, Olga Kurylenko)
Hated it. Don't think I even managed to get through it. Too bad too, since I loved the first Craig-as-Bond film.
7. Slumdog Millionaire (R) (2008) (Dev Patel, Madhur Mittal)
Again, didn't like it at all. Depressing. Guess I like my movies cheerful and romantic. Wanted to like it. Probably should give it another try when I'm feeling solemn and in need of deeper inspiration. So many people liked it.
8. Rachel Getting Married (R) (2008) (Anne Hathaway, Rosemarie DeWitt)
HATED IT. Well, at least the beginning. Turned it off after the first 10-15 minutes.
9. Changeling (R) (2008) (Angelina Jolie, Jeffrey Donovan)
This one I actually liked. Didn't love it, but I liked it and it made me think beyond the normal storytelling paradigm.
10. Fireproof (PG) (2008) (Kirk Cameron, Erin Bethea)
LOVED IT. Although Cameron was the only professional actor, I thought most of the actors did an excellent job of nailing their characters. The exception was the wife - thought she detracted from the film more than helped it. And the story was awesome. Made Bob watch it with me (he never watches movies) and he liked it too. Go watch it, if you haven't.
11. Nights in Rodanthe (PG-13) (2008) (Richard Gere, Diane Lane)
SOB FEST!!! Sad sad sad. But what do you expect from Nicholas Sparks? See it if you like a tearjerker.
12. Kung Fu Panda (PG) (2008) (voices of Jack Black, Dustin Hoffman)
Watched it out of the corner of my eye while the kids watched. They loved it. I was pleased with it.
13. The Other Boleyn Girl (PG-13) (2008) (Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson)
I watched it, but I don't remember all that much about it.
Here are three I had wanted to see, but still haven't. Should I?
1. Mad Money (PG-13) (2008) (Diane Keaton, Queen Latifah)
2. The Tale of Despereaux (G) (2008) (voices of Matthew Broderick, Dustin Hoffman) - Kids saw it, but I haven't.
3. Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (PG) (2008) (Documentary) - David saw this but I haven't.