March Reads

Eight books again in March. Making good progress toward the 999 Reading Challenge.

Deadly Reunion by Florence Case - 03/09/09
Poor - Inspirational
Police officer Angie is sure that Warren Detry killed his wife and is now planning to kill Angie's sister and maybe Angie as well. Can her former love Boone protect her?
I really wanted to like this book which I won in a blog contest, but I just didn't. I found it confusing and cliched.

Soup by Robert Newton Peck - 03/09/09
Excellent - Read-aloud
Misadventures of Robert and his mischievous friend Soup are described in this pithy and humorous memoir
This is one of the books from my own childhood that I'm reading aloud to my children. Not politically correct at all, but very very funny!

Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani - 03/14/09
Good - Fiction
Valentine Roncalli is apprentice to her grandmother, a master shoemaker and owner of the Angelini Shoe Co in NYC, an 100 year old financially unstable company that makes custom wedding shoes.
I liked this Trigiani better than the last one I read (Rococo), but I don't really relate well to any of her characters. I find their world intriguing, however, and that sustains my interest.

Hungry Planet: What the World Eats by Peter Menzel & Faith D'Aluisio - 03/15/09
Excellent - Non-fiction
What do people eat in the course of a week. Photography and essays about 30 families from 24 countries answer that question.
Everyone should at least peruse this book. Amazing photos of families from all over the world and of what they eat. Most striking are the photos of each family pictured with the food they eat in a week. Accompanying essays are fascinating and stuffed with information. Suzanne was especially fond of paging through this book and I shared tidbits from it with all the kids.

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - 03/19/09
Good - Classic
Margaret Hale moves with her parents from the bucolic South of England to a manufacturing town in the North, where she finds life to be very different.
I love the BBC miniseries based on this book and chose this title for book club based on my love for the movie. I'm glad I read it, but I like the movie better! I'll read more Gaskell eventually.

Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult - 03/22/09
Good - Fiction
Charlotte and Sean's daughter Willow was born with a debilitating illness and they are offered the opportunity to file a lucrative wrongful birth lawsuit.
Picoult writes thoughtful fiction and this was no exception. Not particularly uplifting, but mesmerizing all the same.

Soup and Me by Robert Newton Peck - 03/23/09
Good - Childrens
More misadventures from Soup and Rob.
Did you realize there are a large numbers of sequels to Soup? I knew about this one and a couple more, but I had no idea how many there actually were! This was another nostalgic read-aloud and my kids adored it!

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. Forester - 03/29/09
Good - Fiction
Midshipman Horatio Hornblower of the British Navy has a series of adventures which ends in his promotion to Lieutenant.
Clearly I read this because of my interest in the British Hornblower TV series. There are many Hornblower books by Forester, mostly (all?) written in the 30's. This one was added to my library's collection the year I was BORN. Heh. It's the sixth written in the series, but the first one chronologically and tells of how Hornblower comes to join the Navy and his first adventures there. Most of the TV series plotlines come from this novel, although the television scripts don't follow the book very closely. Anyway, if you like exciting tales with a wholesome aspect, you'll like this. I've requested the audiobook for my sons who enjoy listening to books on tape.

Currently I am reading Daniel Deronda by George Eliot and listening to A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I am also perusing a book on manuscript revision.

What are YOU reading?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky