December Reads

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - 12/4/2013
Very Good - Classic - 189 pages (Audio 4 hr 38 min)
My book club chose this as our December book. I remember reading it in high school and feeling rather indifferent about it. This is the first time I've read it since then and the intervening years have definitely changed me since the book has remained the same. I appreciated the language and the bleak beauty of the story.

Everything Burns (The Mighty Thor & A Journey into Mystery) by Matt Fraction & Kieron Gillen - 12/14/2013
Good - Graphic Novel - 198 pages (Print)
Surtur, Lord of Muspelheim, has attacked the Nine Realms with fire and war. Will Loki betray Asgard or be its salvation?
I have a hard time visualizing when I read. I don't do it. A few years ago, comic books were recommended to me as a possibility for helping me learn to "see" pictures when I read. Well, with my current Loki/Asgard obsession, I figured this was as good a time as any. I finagled a few recommendations from a fellow Loki fan who is also a comic book reader and set off. This book is a compilation of 9 shorter comic books all from the same storyline. I found it surprisingly hard to follow the storyline as I tended to just read the words and not peruse the illustrations. I am getting better at it. And Loki really is a little brat! (But I like him anyway!) 

The Children of Odin by Padraic Colum - 12/19/2013
Good - Mythology - 271 pages (Audio 6 hr 23 min & etext)
This is Padraic Colum's retelling of the Eddas and the Volsung Saga for young adults.
A selection of Norse mythology. Again, Loki really is a brat!

Journey into Mystery: Fear Itself by Kieron Gillen & Dougie Braithwaite - 12/20/2013
Good - Graphic Novel - 136 pages (Print)
The shadow of Fear Itself looms over Asgard, and only Loki holds the key to stopping the impending war between Odin's army and the Serpent!
Another try at reading a comic book collection. About the same experience as above.

How Harry Cast His Spell:: the meaning behind the mania for J.K. Rowling's bestselling books by John Granger - 12/25/2013
Excellent - Non-fiction - 280 pages (Print)
Granger uses his knowledge of classic literature, philosophy, and Christian tradition to explain how the HP books meet our longings to experience the truths of life, love, and death.
I've read another of Granger's books, but this one is from a Christian perspective. If you doubt that Harry Potter could possibly have any Christian slant at all, this might be the book for you! I LOVED it.

What are YOU reading?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Twilight (2008)