November Reads

Chaos: I Bring the Fire Part III (A Loki Story) by C. Gockel - 11/1/2013
Good - Fantasy 240 pages - Kindle
The FBI wants Loki captured, Asgard wants Loki dead or alive, and human Amy Lewis wants Loki, or does she?
Well, I read the first couple of these books before NaNoWriMo began, but I couldn't stop! Had to finish! Loki mania!

In the Balance: An I Bring the Fire Novella (IBF 3.5) by C. Gockel - 11/2/2013
Good - Fantasy - 104 pages - Kindle
Amy Lewis is sure she’ll never see Loki again, but when chaos is involved nothing is certain. Called into ADUO’s offices to identify a magical artifact, Amy is taken on a journey beyond the universe itself." Amazon plot summary
And one more! On one hand, I was thankful it was a novella because it meant I would not be distracted from writing anymore. On the other hand, I wanted MORE!

The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner - 11/5/2013
Good - Historical Fiction 416 pages - Audio 9 hrs 47 min
 Third re-read just to listen to Tom Hiddleston reading aloud
Yeah, I know. I'm a basket case.

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - 11/12/2013
Excellent - Classic 395 pages - Audio 18 hours 39 min
Re-read for book club
I wasn't very excited about re-reading this book. I loved the movie first, but the differences between book and movie bothered me the first time through. This time, however, I ADORED the book!

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - 11/25/2013
Excellent - Science Fiction 352 pages - Audio 11 hrs 19 min
 Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet? (Amazon summary)
Have heard a lot of people say this book was one of their favorites. I have never been a sci-fi lover, but I thought I'd give it a try when my friend's book club decided to read it. (I'm kind of a hanger-on at her book club. Two book clubs all the time would totally max me out.) Within the first couple chapters, I wasn't sure I wanted to finish it because I found it distasteful. However, I really really enjoyed it! 

Coriolanus by William Shakespeare - 11/30/2013
Excellent - Classic 128 pages - Audio 3 hr 19 min & etext
Coriolanus is a "military hero of ancient Rome who attempts to shift from his career as a general to become a candidate for public office — a disastrous move that leads to his heading an attack on Rome." (Amazon summary)
OK, you're going to roll your eyes, but I read this play because Tom Hiddleston is playing Coriolanus in London for a two month run at the Donmar Warehouse. I have seen the Fiennes & Butler film and was intrigued by it as well. So, I gave it a shot. Shakespeare plays are not very long compared to many books I read but this one was difficult for me. I did enjoy it, but I think that was mainly the challenge of understanding it. It is a tragedy, after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Twilight (2008)