October Reads

Henry IV Part 2 by William Shakespeare 10/1/2013 
Good - Classic 157 pages Audio 
Henry IV dies and Prince Hal becomes Henry V.
This was a book club book and also I wanted to read it because of the Hollow Crown Shakespeare series on PBS (BBC).

Homeschool Open House: Interviews with 55 families by Nancy Lande 10/2/2013 
Good - Non-fiction 495 pages Print 
The book consists of interviews describing the lives of 55 homeschooling families; half are follow-up interviews five years after the author's previous book.
I started reading this years ago and never finished. Pulled it out in August and started reading an interview or two every day. Some of the stories inspired me and some made me mad. LOL I wrote a longer review of this book on Cornerstone Home Learning. 

The ACT for Bad Test Takers by Moshe Ohayon 10/8/2013 
Excellent - Non-fiction 152 pages Kindle 
Offers specific strategies based on analysis of past ACT tests to increase ACT scores.
I highly recommend this. Wish I'd had David read it!

Living Clutter-free with Kids in the House by Mike Burns and Jen Burns 10/8/2013 
Good - Non-fiction 62 pages Kindle 
Philosophy and proper expectations combined with strategies and games to make and keep your home with kids free from clutter.
I gleaned some useful ideas from this book. If you struggle with clutter or organization, check it out.

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon 10/10/2013 
Excellent - Historical Fiction 980 pages Audio
This was my 3rd time reading ABOSAA, which is the 6th book in the Outlander series. LOVED it even more this time, despite being apprehensive about reading it again due to a traumatic event included in the plot.

Wolves: I Bring the Fire Part I (A Loki Story) by C. Gockel 10/29/2013 
Good - Fantasy 198 pages Kindle 
Amy Lewis, American veterinary student, is rescued by Loki, Asgardian and purported 'god of mischief'. They "join forces to outwit gods, elves, magic sniffing cats, and nosy neighbors." (Amazon blurb)
Well, if you don't already know, I'll tell you. I'm a tad obsessed with Loki currently. I don't even know how I found these books, but the first one was free on Kindle. Before I finished it, I had purchased the remaining two books in the trilogy. Despite my dislike of the present tense storytelling, I found myself very involved with the story and loved how the author integrated the different worlds together. This is not the Marvel universe Loki.

Monster: I Bring the Fire Part II (A Loki Story) by C. Gockel 10/31/2013 
Good Fantasy 198 pages Kindle 
Amy Lewis is now a vet tech by night and an FBI secretary during the day. Her boss, Steve Rogers (no, not THAT Steve Rogers), has to join forces with Loki "to save earth from trolls, wyrms, frost giant invasions, and an old evil growing beneath Chicago’s streets." But Loki's only goal is to destroy Asgard.
As I said, I purchased this on Kindle before I finished Volume 1 and I dove right in as soon as I finished the first book. I found that I got used to the present tense storytelling somewhere in the middle of this book and it no longer bothered me. I enjoyed the new characters and the intricate plot. It's complex enough that I think a second reading will still be very intriguing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky