December Reads

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - 12/13/2012
Excellent - Children's
A hobbit named Bilbo Baggins joins 13 dwarves and a wizard to reclaim the dwarves' stolen treasure from a dragon.
Our book club selection for December. The newly released movie was our impetus for reading. I'd read The Hobbit before, but not for years. I liked Bilbo a lot more this time through.

The Very Virile Viking by Sandra Hill - 12/1/2012 
Good - Romance (Steamy)
Magnus Ericsson, a 10th century Viking, travels back in time to modern day California, where he meets Angela Abruzzi, upscale realtor and heir to a failing vineyard.
#3 in the Viking time travel series (I skipped #2 because #3 arrived first). I enjoyed it!

Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola and George Barna - 12/14/2012 
Excellent - Non-fiction
The history of church traditions - pagan or Biblical
Very interesting. Why do we have a pastor? Take an offering? Have a church building? Dress up to go to church? Have a choir? Do you think these customs are Biblical or chosen by man?

Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich - 12/16/2012 
Good - Fiction
Stephanie tries to track down a con man who disappeared from a hospital after surgery while also working for Ranger who has been receiving threatening notes from someone in his past.
As the title may indicate, this is the 19th novel about Stephanie Plum, inept bounty hunter. I enjoyed this installment, which was funnier and more compelling than some of the more recent in the series. 

Timeless Desire by Gwyn Cready - 12/22/2012
Good - Romance (Steamy)
Librarian Panna Kennedy time travels to 1706 via a portal in her library and finds herself in the midst of a border skirmish between the Scottish and the British.
Like I've said before, I'm a sucker for a time travel historical romance. And here we have one with a LIBRARIAN as a main character - even better! I do find that the heavier my main reading, the more light reading I seem to need to balance it. Since I've been plugging away at the interminable Les Miserables (and not done yet!), I have wanted some short and fluffy fiction interspersed throughout.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky

October Reads