March Reads

An Experiment in Criticism by C.S. Lewis 3/5/2012 
 Excellent - Non-fiction
A short but meaningful and deep book on literary criticism.
Wow, this book was deep. I started out disagreeing with him quite a bit, thinking he was a snob. But by the end, I was nodding my head furiously and making plans to purchase this book. It was out of print, but is going to be published again shortly, if not already.

El Dorado by Baroness Orczy 3/6/2012 
Excellent - Classic
The Scarlet Pimpernel rescues the Dauphin from the Temple Prison but is captured.
This is the second book that my favorite Scarlet Pimpernel movie is based on. Surprised me how much of the movie is straight from the book. Did you know there are about a dozen Scarlet Pimpernel books?

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 3/12/2012 
Excellent - Young Adult
Re-read
Wow, great book! I read it before a couple years ago and wanted to re-read for the movie, as well as for book club. Powerful and well-written!

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins 3/21/2012 
Excellent - Young Adult
re-read
Liked this one much better the second time; maybe I understood it better. This is the sequel to The Hunger Games

God's Story, Your Story by Max Lucado 3/23/2012 
Excellent - Inspirational
See how your day-to-day story intersects with God's grand epic of everlasting redemption.
Fit very well with the themes of the prayer book I read twice recently (A Praying Life by Paul Miller). Hadn't read this one by Lucado before but I read many of his about ten years ago or so. 

Ghosty Men by Franz Lidz 3/25/2012 
Fair - Non-fiction
Story of the Collyer brothers of NYC interspersed with stories of the author's hoarder uncles.
The Collyer brothers were interesting but I didn't care for the stories of the author's uncles. It felt like he was trying too hard to draw the connections. Plus I picked up the book to learn about the Collyers.

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova 3/25/2012 
Excellent - Historical Fiction
Historians track down the real Dracula.
Wow, this was an interesting read! The story was told from several characters' perspectives. It was one of my first Kindle library loans and I didn't finish it in time, but I borrowed it again. Long book, but really really interesting!

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins 3/27/2012 
Excellent - Young Adult
re-read
The first time I read this I was not happy at all. But this time (second time's a charm?!), I understood better what the author was trying to do - again, very powerful!

What are YOU reading?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Twilight (2008)