Library Overload

It's one of those weeks when the library showers abundantly upon me!

Drums of Autumn, the fourth Outlander novel, came to me in audio CD form. I've been waiting for it for weeks (via interlibrary loan)! I adore listening to Davina Porter read Gabaldon and popped the first CD in the computer right away.


Also in from interlibrary loan:
  • The Real Oliver Twist: Robert Blincoe: A Life That Illuminates a Violent Age by John Waller (a compelling history of the lives of workhouse children in the industrial revolution). This title was mentioned in the fascinating At Home by Bill Bryson. And since I recently read Oliver Twist, this caught my attention.
  • North by Northanger (or, The Shades of Pemberley) by Carrie Bebris - 3rd in a series of mysteries featuring Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • An Experiment in Criticism by C.S. Lewis - this was recommended by the instructor of The Art of Reading course I just completed.
  • I've been wanting to re-read Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion trilogy, so I thought getting that on audio would help me accomplish that. But apparently I didn't request them in order since the 3rd volume arrived yesterday. Can't listen to that without #1 and #2! lol
I love interlibrary loan!

A beautiful library in a nearby town is a quiet convenient place for me to log some work hours while waiting for David to be done with Robotics league. But it's filled with such horrendous reading temptations! I've resisted until this past Tuesday. I even had to get another library card to use this library, bringing my total to FIVE library cards. Yes, I belong to five different libraries!

The first book I read from that library is The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbol and Agnete Friis. Originally written in Danish, this thriller tells of a Red Cross nurse who finds a naked preschooler in a suitcase stuffed in a public locker.

Grabbed The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills in Half by Stephanie Nelson. Because I know I should work harder at couponing, this one caught my attention. Gonna skim through and see if a thorough reading would be helpful.

A bright yellow book caught my eye - Nudge: Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth, and Happiness. Written by Richard H. Thaler and Cass R. Sunstein, this book covers the topic of choices and how we make them - good and bad.

Skimmed through What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life (ageless secrets of style) by Kim Johnson Gross and decided it wasn't worth my time to really read. Also skimmed through Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods by Jennifer Reese and decided I want to OWN this one. Who wouldn't want to make their own marshmallows? :-)

Of course, I am also still finishing The Count of Monte Cristo (abridged) for the Brit Lit class I am co-teaching, as well as just beginning The Turn of the Screw by Henry James for book club.

Even if I only read all day long, I don't think I can get through all these! LOL I will do my best!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky