September Reads

Twelfth Night, or What You Will by William Shakespeare - 9/3/2011 
Good - Classic
Gender-bending comic tale of shipwreck, love, and mischief.
 Read this for the Brit Lit class I am co-teaching. We also went to see the play at Grand Valley State University - excellent! Very funny. Always remember Shakespeare is meant to be watched, not read!

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell - 9/20/2011   
Excellent - Non-fiction   
Some interesting thoughts on how successful people got that way, and some myths debunked.
I found this book so intriguing that I assigned it to David. Did you ever wonder how some people seem to "make it big" and others just don't? 

A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller - 9/26/2011 
Excellent - Non-fiction
Best book I ever read on prayer - what it is, what it isn't, how to do it, why to do it
Such a wonderful practical book on prayer that I began reading it again as soon as I finished it. I have it on the Kindle but I bought a copy for Bob. And I am going to have the kids read it too. 

A Jane Austen Education: How Six Novels Taught Me About Love, Friendship, and the Things That Really Matter by William Deresiewicz - 9/26/2011 
Excellent - Non-fiction
Great insights into each of Austen's novels, making them relevant to the modern American.
I really enjoyed this book. The author relates his life experiences to each of Austen's novels, as well as discussing them in such an interesting relevant manner that I devoured the book. Not many men commit to reading Austen, but more should. 

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas - 9/30/2011 
Good - Classic
D'Artagnan comes to Paris to join the 3 Musketeers and is caught up in plots of intrigue and betrayal.
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I'd hoped to. And the new movie is not much like the book at all! We read this for book club.

Only 5 books in September and 2 of them were for outside commitments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Twilight (2008)