April & May Reads

As you may have surmised from the lack of recent posts, life has overtaken me. The part-time job I've taken means less time for writing and much less time for reading. I have all I can do to keep up with my book club's selections. (And I have managed it so far, but the size of the Dickens volume I am supposed to tackle this summer has me quivering in a lump in a lonely dank corner.)

So, here are my April and May reads - pitiful list, though it may be.

Becca By the Book by Laura Jensen Walker
4/2/2010 Good - Inspirational
This was an inspirational romance and I neglected to write a summary. I remember it was about a book club, mostly about the non-Christian member of the club. I also did not realize it was part of a series of books and it wasn't the first one in the series, or I probably would not have read it.

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Good - Children's (Read Aloud)
I believe this was the Newbery Award winner for 2009. Mysterious and engaging, the book addresses time travel and includes lots of references to A Wrinkle in Time. I read it aloud to my kids who loved it.

Emma by Jane Austen
5/16/2010 Excellent - Classic (Rollicking Readers)
A re-read of Emma was for my book club's April meeting, though I did not finish it before the meeting.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
5/29/2010 Excellent - Classic (Rollicking Readers)
My May book club selection was Little Women and I finished it the morning of book club. Note that it took me two weeks to read this one book. I highly recommend it - loved it! I don't remember loving it when I read it years ago.

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
5/31/2010 Good - Classic (Rollicking Readers)
Because of the length of the summer reading selection for book club, I thought I'd better read the June book as quickly as possible and move right on to the next one. So, I read Hound of the Baskervilles in two days. A very quick and entertaining read, but I don't really think of it as a classic. Hmmmm....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Twilight (2008)