November Reads

I managed 6 books in November, while also writing my latest NaNoWriMo novel. I tend to avoid fiction while writing fiction, except for inspiring fiction that I'd like to imitate, such as Gabaldon's work. So, other than the two children's books, the only fiction I read was a Kathy Reichs novel, during a writing slump. Well, and Gabaldon, but that's a given, right?

Edward, Hoppy and Joe
by Robert Lawson - 11/10/09
Excellent - Childrens
One of my favorites from childhood – Edward the rabbit, Hoppy the toad, and Joe the possum have many adventures.
My kids ADORED this read-aloud. I had hesitated reading it to them because of its age. It was rather old when *I* read it years ago. But it was very amusing and well-written. I think I shall have to read them more Robert Lawson. Perhaps Ben and Me and Rabbit Hill?

Until It Hurts by Mark Hyman - 11/16/09
Excellent - Non-fiction
America's obsession with youth sports and how it harms our kids
A review of this new book somewhere piqued my interest and I interloaned it. Quite eye-opening as to the dangers of specialized youth sports - both physical and otherwise. If you have a child who might ever play an organized sport, I do recommend this book.

The Murder of King Tut by James Patterson - 11/18/09
Fair - Non-fiction
The plot to kill the child king – a non fiction thriller
How could I not read this? I adore ancient Egypt, one of my obsessions since middle-school. And King Tut? So much mystery surrounds him. I found Patterson's take somewhat unbelievable. Patterson takes the somewhat unpopular view that Tut was murdered. He integrates the scenes from ancient Egypt with the life story of Howard Carter, discoverer of Tut's tomb, as well as some scenes from the present day. I find his writing somewhat brash, and don't really appreciate his style, so I didn't enjoy the book as much as I had hoped. It is short through, a quick read.

206 Bones by Kathy Reichs - 11/21/09
Fair - Thriller
Temperance Brennan, forensic anthropologist, is being sabotaged.
No more Tempe for me. I've struggled through the last one I'm going to attempt. I thought I used to like Reich's work, but maybe I never really did. I don't like Tempe or her story.

How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell - 11/24/2009
Good - Childrens
A bet forces a boy to eat a worm a day for fifteen days
My kids had seen the recent movie and found it enjoyable, but say the book is nothing like it. I loved reading this aloud. Rockwell's style is irreverent in a boy-ish way and the story is very intriguing for kids. And not at all politically correct!

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon - 11/27/2009
Excellent Historical Fiction
RE-READ Jamie chooses to join the Revolutionaries
Audiobooks read by Davina Porter are woooooonderfulllllll and this one was no exception. The time just before the American Revolution is the setting for the 6th installment of the Outlander series. I didn't especially enjoy this book the first time I read it, back in 2005, so I had approached it somewhat dutifully. The seventh book (An Echo in the Bone) had been released, but I needed a refresher of ABOSAA before tackling it. Surprise, surprise! I thoroughly enjoyed it this time around!

SO WHAT ARE YOU READING?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky