July Reads

Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich 07/06/09
Good - Fiction
Rangeman is being sabotaged and Lula witnessed a murder and is being chased by inept hit men.
This eagerly awaited installment in the very funny Stephanie Plum series took me all of one day to zip through. Hilarious as usual, I could have done with a little more RANGER, but all-in-all, a very satisfying Evanovich. When does Sixteen come out? Oh yeah, JUNE. 2010. Sigh.

Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange 07/07/09
Good - Romance
Pride and Prejudice retold from Darcy's perspective, in diary format.
I love love love Amanda Grange's Austen hero diaries and this one is no exception. She thinks of much to add to enhance the story but doesn't compromise Austen's characters or plot. Absolutely CANNOT WAIT for Tilney's diary!

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 07/15/09
Good - Classic
Victor Frankenstein creates a monster and deals with the consequences.
I didn't especially want to read this, but Rollicking Readers was looking for something a little different to read, something not as romantic as our Austen and Bronte books. This fit the bill, but it wasn't at all what I imagined it to be. A very cerebral and philosophical chilling tale.

Complete Book of Running (Runner's World) edited by Amby Burfoot 07/16/09
Good - Non-fiction
Everything you need to know to run for fun, fitness, and competition
Whenever I start some new "thing", I always have to get some books about it. Jogging is no exception. This is a thorough overview of running as sport with quite a bit about competition and training that I mostly skimmed. A nice section on women's running rounds it out.

Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon 07/19/09
Good - Fiction
Rhonda witnesses a huge white rabbit abducting a little girl and joins the investigation to solve the crime.
Saw this at the library and couldn't resist the title and premise. An intriguing read, but rather serious by the end.

Bird by Bird: Some instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott 07/21/09
Excellent - Non-fiction
Author Anne Lamott shares her thoughts and advice on writing
I think Lamott is more famous for this book than for any of her novels (none of which I have read), however, this is a little gem of a book on writing. If you write fiction at all, give it a look. It won't take long to read, but its impact will be powerful.

Yes Man by Danny Wallace 07/22/09
Good - Non-fiction
Danny makes a rash promise to say yes to everything for a year!
Yes, this is the book the movie is based on. Yes, I think it's a true story. Yes, it was interesting and funny. Yes, the book was better than the movie.

The 5 Minute Face: The Quick and Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman by Carmindy 07/26/09
Good - Non-fiction
Carmindy of What Not to Wear shares her tips and tricks for creating great makeup in 5 minutes.
I love What Not to Wear, even though I don't often get a chance to watch it. I had the opportunity to view a DVD of four episodes lately and was reminded how much I love Carmindy on the show. She seems very down to earth and does great makeup, which never looks fake or too glam. I found out she had written a book and just had to check it out! Useful tips and nice photos. I think, however, that the face may take ME more than 5 minutes, at least the prep part.

What are YOU reading?

Is anyone out there? Hallllooooooo.........

Comments

Anonymous said…
*I* am here, always enjoy reading your little book and movie reviews, often jot one or more of your titles down to add to my reading list. I read 12 books in July, bringing my total for the year to 74. 99% fiction, from Emilie Richards to Brock and Bodie Thoene to Jonathan Kellerman, Jeffrey Deaver etc. with side trips to lighter entertainment such as Diane Mott Davidson and Leslie Meier. Love, Mom
Sadie said…
Uhm... I think I checked out 7 murder mystery books from the library last month and read all of those... Am now reading the Honeymoon by Patterson, which was a Christmas gift that was put away and forgotten about, LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

Booking Through Thursday - Sticky

October Reads