February Reads

Nine books in February. Not too shabby!

I am not going to read fiction in March, other than finishing the book I am currently reading. (I have a couple other library books I borrowed before I decided to declare a March Moratorium on fiction. If I get weak, I may read one or two. lol ) I am going to focus on writing again this month.

The exception to the fiction ban will be Pride & Prejudice. I am going to listen to the audiobook in the car to/from work, as well as read the annotated edition.

I also have plenty of non-fiction to read if there is time. :-)

So what have YOU read lately?

Hide
by Lisa Gardner - 02/02/08
Good - Suspense
Annabelle's father moved her family around randomly and often during her childhood. Now he's dead and she wants to know the reason for the moves. Cop Bobby Dodge helps her get to the bottom of it.
My mom recommended this. It was a twist-y turn-y suspenseful book. I liked it enough to go find the previous book in the series right away. (See below.)

Brothers by Angela Elwell Hunt - 02/04/08
Good - Inspirational
Joseph's brothers come to Egypt to buy grain.
I had read the first book in this series last year and finally obtained number 2. I liked it, but the first one was better. Haven't gotten #3 yet.

The Well-fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Freelance Writer in Six Months or Less by Peter Bowerman - 02/08/08
Good - Non-fiction
Step-by-step blueprint for building a profitable freelance commercial writing business
Motivational and practical. When reading it, I believed I could become a freelance commercial writer. I am going to find his second book and read that too, and then try it.

Austenland by Shannon Hale - 02/10/08
Excellent - Chick Lit
Jane is obsessed with Mr. Darcy as portrayed by Colin Firth in the BBC Pride & Prejudice to the extent that it interferes with her real life. Then she gets the chance to vacation in Austenland.
Recommended by my sister Christy. I LOVED this book. Probably has nothing at all to do with the fact that I also could be considered just slightly obsessed with P&P and Mr. Darcy (as portrayed by the aforementioned actor). Nothing at all. lol

Alone by Lisa Gardner - 02/12/08
Good - Suspense
State trooper Bobby Dodge kills a man on duty and then fears he was set up.
The book that comes before Hide. It was interesting to read it from the perspective of already knowing what happens in the second book.

Beauty: A retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley - 02/23/08
Good - Young Adult
Beauty comes to live in an enchanted castle and befriends a horrible Beast.
Until about halfway through this book, I was bored. Once the romance between Beauty and the Beast was underway, I got more interested. Emily is going to read this, as it's a young adult novel.

Let's Meet on Platform 8 by Carole Matthews - 02/23/08
Good - Chick Lit
Jamie Duncan crashes into Teri Carter on the railway platform and they begin a friendship that could be more, except she finds out he is married.
Picked this up at a rummage sale as I had read another book by Carole Matthews a while back. This is of the risque Chick Lit genre, but ended up with a good moral. I enjoyed the characters.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: a novel in cartoons by Jeff Kinney - 02/24/08
Good - Young Adult
Greg is a middle school student who chronicles his 'wimpy kid' days at school and at home in a journal with both writings and cartoons
I saw a review of this book in the newspaper. Sounded interesting. Then I saw it at the library and pointed it out to David. "Hey look, David. A novel in cartoons!" He condescended to glance at it and then place it back on the shelf whereupon I grabbed it up and stuck it on my stack of books to borrow. On returning home, I began reading it aloud. (It's a regular novel written in a diary format interspersed with cartoons supposedly drawn by the kid narrating the book.) After I read two pages aloud, David snatched the book from me and read the whole thing that afternoon. He read it again on a subsequent day. After he read it twice, I decided I probably ought to see what it was about. Not great literature, that's for sure, but it has an engaging storyline and realistic middle school kids, as well as some funny drawings. Enough for David!

Love's Haven by Catherine Palmer - 02/27/08
Fair - Inspirational
Pregnant young widow Mara marries the best friend of her deceased husband in order to provide for her baby.
I wanted to read a Harlequin Steeple Hill Love Inspired Christian romance novel since that's what I am aiming to write next. This was what the library had. Not too impressed. I think I can write better. I guess we'll see! lol

So go READ something already!


Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm glad you liked Austenland! Her YA books are good too. Diary of a Wimpy Kid is huge on lots of library lists but I haven't taken a look at it yet. I'm reading Grafton's "T" book now and have a big fat Outlander hardcover waiting for me to reread. Unless my Plum Lucky comes in before I get a chance and it's due back.
Christy
Denise Bryant said…
Oh, I so need to read more!
Anonymous said…
I need to read more too!!!- Janet

Popular posts from this blog

A to Z Website Meme

October Reads

Twilight (2008)