I have thoughts to share. Really I do. But when I start writing them down, I judge every one. That's not interesting. That's not insightful. That's not original. That's not even grammatical. Why am I so hard on my own writing? I read lots of other people's words. I used to read many blogs. Before I was so busy, I spent lots of time reading other people's writing. I read books, magazines, blog posts, Facebook posts - all kinds of things. Most people don't worry very much about their writing, at least from the evidence. I teach writing. My goal is to help students write concisely and correctly. I sometimes feel like a fraud because teaching writing doesn't leave me time for actual writing. But this year is going to be different. I am going to write daily. Why? Well, I can blame NaNoWriMo this past November. My daughter asked me to write her some fanfiction. I'd never written fanfic before, especially not in the Harry Potter wizarding world. I did...
The 888 Reading Challenge was to read 8 books each in 8 different categories in 2008 . I finished today! My categories changed a good deal as did many of the titles I chose initially . That was within the rules. I didn't use any overlaps. I also read a few books that didn't fit any of my categories. Here are my 8 completed categories with the 8 books I read for each one. Following that are the additional 18 books I read. 8x8+18= 82 books so far in 2008. I still have a few days to increase that total. In both 2006 and 2007, I read 86 books. Anyone up for the 999 Reading Challenge?? Books Published in 2008 1.The Secret Between Us – Barbara Delinsky 1-24-08 2.Firefly Lane – Kristin Hannah 5-18-08 3.The Broken Window – Jeffery Deaver 7-22-08 4.Breaking Dawn – Stephenie Meyer 8-7-08 5.Say Goodbye – Lisa Gardner 8-8-08 6.The Keepsake – Tess Gerritsen 9-20-08 7.Sweet Love – Sarah Strohmeyer 10-15-08 8.More Than It Hurts You – Darin Strauss 11-1-08 Books Recommended to me by others 1....
Ocean's Twelve was one of the most interminably tiresome movies I have ever watched. I didn't even bother to finish it. (Which is really so unlike me!) I turned it off 10 minutes before the end (Thank God for that feature on DVD - to know how much more is in the movie) because whatever happened at the end held not the slightest bit of significance to me. The only part I thought was interesting was when Julia Roberts as Tess was pretending to be Julia Roberts and Bruce Willis showed up. I also liked some of the camera techniques. Catherine Zeta-Jones was totally unbelievable in her role as some sort of European detective. Brad Pitt and George Clooney were nice to look at, but uninteresting otherwise. The rest of the characters were uninspired and one-dimensional. It probably doesn't help that I didn't like Ocean's Eleven either. I don't generally like books or movies where the protagonists are "bad guys". So, I am not sure why I even brought Oc...
Comments